“Brethren, pray for us.”
Missionaries at times state in their prayer letters that, more than needing a church’s financial support, they would rather have her prayer support. Of course, this does not mean that they would not welcome the financial support; but in the event that financial support is not available, nothing will ever take the place of our prayer support.
To encourage our church members to pray for our missionaries, Pastor Trieber established the Missions Prayer Meeting. This meeting takes place every Sunday evening prior to the church service. Pastor Trieber encourages our members weekly to be a part of this meeting.
Our missionaries depend on our prayer support, and this meeting helps meet that need.
Agenda for the meeting:
- Go over the new prayer requests that were received during the week. As Missions Director, I strive to read every prayer letter that we receive. We also recruit volunteer ladies who review these prayer letters and highlight the new requests.
- These new requests are then typed into a prayer bulletin (see accompanying prayer bulletin).
- I then review the new prayer requests along with any other new information associated with that request. This allows the people praying to pray more intelligently about each request.
- The prayer bulletin also contains a list of countries where there are no independent Baptist missionaries. We list seven countries each week and pray for one of those countries each day.
- We also include ongoing requests such as prolonged illnesses, expectant mothers, ministries, or special events scheduled for the future.
- After going over the new requests, we divide into groups of two and pray together for those requests.
Let me encourage you, if you are not already doing so, to start a regular prayer meeting for your missionaries.