Looking Back on 35 Years
July 18, 2010 marks the thirty-fifth anniversary of the North Valley Baptist Church in Santa Clara, California. When the work was established 35 year ago in 1975, the President of the United States was Gerald Ford. Gasoline was only $0.57 a gallon, a loaf of bread $0.69, and a gallon of milk $1.57. A first-class stamp cost only $0.10. My, how much has changed in the last three decades! Much has also changed in this ministry. From 1975 to present, more than 1.1 million men and women, boys and girls have ridden a bus to church. Sixty-two thousand have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ for salvation in one of our services, with over 15,000 following the Lord in believer’s baptism.
Furthermore, in 35 years, God has enabled this ministry to establish the following:
- An elementary school (North Valley Baptist Schools)
- A junior high school (NVBS)
- A high school (NVBS)
- A college (Golden State Baptist College)
- A daily radio broadcast (“Revival Time”)
- A 24-hour Internet radio station (KNVBC)
In addition, our church family has been blessed to have been part of these major endeavors and milestones:
- Hundreds of missionaries are being supported around the globe.
- North Valley Publications now assists churches and Christians around the world by being an invaluable resource for Gospel music and printed materials.
- The church owns and operates on two properties—a total of approximately 250,000 square feet of building space.
- Live streaming has been incorporated into our services.
- A church athletic program has been developed and now includes little leagues and a basketball program, all of which is in addition to what our schools provide during the regular school year. NVBS has developed its own sports program with hockey, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, and cheerleading.
Our church was established as an “old-fashioned, old-time religion” Baptist church and, in these 35 years, has not wavered. What is preached and taught today is identical to what a then handful of people heard in 1975. The Lord has accomplished much through this ministry because its foundation has not been altered. In 2010, the Word of God is still preached and the King James Bible used exclusively. Music consists of “psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.” Salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ is taught as the Bible Way to heaven and personal soul winning as every Christian’s responsibility.
I am happy to report that, in these past three decades, the North Valley Baptist Church has not been influenced by the user-friendly, sound bite peddling, contemporary church movement of this modern age. What an amazing church!
To celebrate these thirty-five years of ministry, our church family will enjoy a weeklong celebration culminating with Anniversary Sunday on July 18. The activities for the week are as follows—
- Monday – Ladies’ Excursion – Cost: $20
- Tuesday – Men’s Golf Tournament – Cost: $50
- Wednesday – Children’s Activity – Cost: $20
- Thursday – Teen Activity – Cost: $20
- Thursday – NVBS Alumni Banquet – $40 per person or $75 per couple – 6:30 p.m. at the Santa Clara Hilton
- Friday – no activity
- Saturday – Super Saturday of Soul Winning – 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday – Anniversary Sunday – Church-wide reception following the evening service
In closing, I would like to thank the church family of North Valley for thirty-five wonderful years of ministry. Thank you for shining the gospel light in the Silicon Valley these past three decades, “always abounding in the work of the Lord.” Pastoring this church has truly been a privilege for me. You dear people are the best! Mrs. Trieber and I love you and are looking forward to many more years of service with each of you.