Merry Christmas to all
Merry Christmas to all! By the time you receive this edition of the North Valley news you will undoubtedly be in the throes of decorating, shopping, attending Christmas parties, writing Christmas cards and other various activities. Christmas is like no other time of year! It is a joyous time for families to be together. People all over the world look forward to and anticipate Christmas with joy.
If we are not careful we can take what is supposed to be “the most wonderful time of the year” and turn it into the most frantic, stressful time of the year. All too often we as Christians get caught up in the material aspect of Christmas and we forget about the reason for the season. As I think back on Christmases past some of my most fond memories are those in which we didn’t have a lot materially, but we enjoyed every minute of Christmas and we thought we had everything!
Enjoy this Christmas time with your family. Make it special. Perhaps one or two of the following ideas might work for you.
- Keep it simple. Christmas doesn’t have to be extravagant to be special. Sit down and see how you can simplify Christmas to make it enjoyable for all. What can you eliminate to make it less stressful?
- Set family traditions. Take the time to list some of your family traditions for future generations to come.
- Do something special for others. Take baked goods to those that are shut in or take your children to visit a children’s hospital.
- Take your family on rides to look at light displays, walk through Christmas in the park or attend a live Bethlehem presentation.
- Take a lot of pictures! One of my favorite pastimes is to go through old pictures and relive special memories.
- Have a campout with the family by the Christmas tree with the lights glowing.
- Bake with your children. We live in the day and age when it is so easy to just pick something up. Girls need to learn how to bake and enjoy it.
- Send Christmas cards and greetings to friends and family far and near.
- Let your children decorate the tree. Maybe purchase a special tree for them to enjoy in their bedroom.
- Plan your Christmas gift to Jesus. May I suggest that you take the time to purchase something this year. You could buy a toy for the nursery department or something for a Sunday school class.
- Play good Christmas music.
- Read the Christmas story to your children.
- Put out Christmas cookies for “Santa Claus.”
- Watch your favorite Christmas movie together.
- Take the time to express gratitude and love.
I trust that you will enjoy this Christmas season and that it will be one that you will look back on with fond memories. I am looking forward to Christmas with my family and I am going to do all that I can to make it special for my children and grandchildren! “Merry Christmas to all and to all a good-night!”